PHOENIX — Former champion boxer Muhammad Ali and his wife, Lonnie, toured a Valley treatment center for Parkinson’s Disease ahead of a celebrity fight night to raise funds for the center.
The couple was shown the newly-expanded Muhammad Ali Parkinson’s Center at the Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix. The $5 million expansion includes a large gym and an activities area that Lonnie said will be a blessing to the families of Parkinson’s victims.
“The fact that we have the support here for the family as people progress through the stages of Parkinson’s, is really important,” Lonnie said.
Lonnie said the new facilities will help “to educate them (the families), and to give them the resources and tools that they need to have that quality of life, to try and make their life as normal as possible and to keep that optimistic outlook like my husband has.”
The 20th annual Celebrity Fight Night event that raises money to fight Parkinson’s Disease. Ali, Billy Crystal, Reba McCentire, Robert DeNiro and Michael Buble are among the stars who will take part in the event at the J.W. Marriott Desert Ridge Resort.
Ali is a three-time heavyweight boxing champion who is often referred to as “The Greatest.” He was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease in 1984. Up to 1.5 million Americans have the disease that, so far, has no cure.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food