PHOENIX — Former champion boxer Muhammad Ali and his wife, Lonnie, toured a Valley treatment center for Parkinson’s Disease ahead of a celebrity fight night to raise funds for the center.
The couple was shown the newly-expanded Muhammad Ali Parkinson’s Center at the Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix. The $5 million expansion includes a large gym and an activities area that Lonnie said will be a blessing to the families of Parkinson’s victims.
“The fact that we have the support here for the family as people progress through the stages of Parkinson’s, is really important,” Lonnie said.
Lonnie said the new facilities will help “to educate them (the families), and to give them the resources and tools that they need to have that quality of life, to try and make their life as normal as possible and to keep that optimistic outlook like my husband has.”
The 20th annual Celebrity Fight Night event that raises money to fight Parkinson’s Disease. Ali, Billy Crystal, Reba McCentire, Robert DeNiro and Michael Buble are among the stars who will take part in the event at the J.W. Marriott Desert Ridge Resort.
Ali is a three-time heavyweight boxing champion who is often referred to as “The Greatest.” He was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease in 1984. Up to 1.5 million Americans have the disease that, so far, has no cure.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night