PHOENIX — Arizona State University will be turning up the heat at the Rugby Bowl in Scottsdale this weekend.
The Sun Devils will take on Bringham Young University on the polo fields of WestWorld Saturday. ASU’s rugby squad debuted in 1975 and has grown into one of the top programs in the country. They are consistently ranked in the top 15 and are currently ranked No. 11.
United Kingdom native and ASU rugby head coach Gary Lane realizes the sport isn’t as popular in the U.S. as overseas, but he said it is gaining in popularity.
“We are very excited for the exposure this event is going to bring to the sport, both locally and nationally,” he said.
Lane said the ASU rubgy team is also known internationally having traveled to Canada and Australia.
Rugby is the fastest-growing collegiate sports for both men and women and a true team sport. Each team has 15 players on the field at a time. They play two 40-minute halves and the clock never stops. It’s similar to football but rugby players don’t wear helmets or pads and there is no forward passing.
Lane is excited to give his players the opportunity to showcase their skills and show off their dedication against BYU, another a top-rated team.
“The Valley has the second-largest LDS community outside of Salt Lake City and BYU has a fantastic fan base,” he said. “They always show up and are a great crowd. We need our Sun Devil fans to put on that maroon and gold and come out to support our guys.”
Tickets to the game are still available at therugbybowl.com. The gates open at 11:30 a.m.; the game begins at 1:10 p.m.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development