This week is national Money Smart week and Friday is Teach Your Children to Save day.
A new BMO Harris Bank survey says a lot of parents are already getting their kids to put money in the bank.
“It was quite interesting to find out that about 70 percent of parents have begun that process already,” said BMO Harris president Steve Johnson.
He said that parents should start savings accounts for their children at around five years old.
“Quite honestly, you want to have that foundation built quickly, so that your children can really understand the value of money,” Johnson said.
Every time your children receive money for a birthday or a holiday, they can sock some away in savings, as Johnson suggests.
“Of course, you want your kids to enjoy that money, and go out and buy a game or a toy with that money,” he said. “But if you put a small percentage, maybe 10 to 20 percent of that money, into a savings account…that will continue to add up.”
Johnson said that the teen years may be a good time to start teaching your kids about the benefits and risks of investing in the stock market.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains