This week is national Money Smart week and Friday is Teach Your Children to Save day.
A new BMO Harris Bank survey says a lot of parents are already getting their kids to put money in the bank.
“It was quite interesting to find out that about 70 percent of parents have begun that process already,” said BMO Harris president Steve Johnson.
He said that parents should start savings accounts for their children at around five years old.
“Quite honestly, you want to have that foundation built quickly, so that your children can really understand the value of money,” Johnson said.
Every time your children receive money for a birthday or a holiday, they can sock some away in savings, as Johnson suggests.
“Of course, you want your kids to enjoy that money, and go out and buy a game or a toy with that money,” he said. “But if you put a small percentage, maybe 10 to 20 percent of that money, into a savings account…that will continue to add up.”
Johnson said that the teen years may be a good time to start teaching your kids about the benefits and risks of investing in the stock market.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food