PHOENIX — The mayor of Glendale, Ariz. said the National Football League’s decision to bring the 2015 Pro Bowl to the Valley could have a beneficial long-term impact on his city.
“We have huge opportunities for new businesses coming here,” Mayor Jerry Weiers told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie on Wednesday. “Long-term effects, I think it’s a huge benefit for my city and all of Arizona.”
Glendale was hit hard during the economic collapse and has struggled during the recession. Weiers feels the key to economic recovery is getting more people to visit rather than raise taxes on residents.
“We want to showcase our city and the Valley and make certain that when people see it on TV up in northern states and around the world, they want to come to our Arizona and maybe start businesses here,” he said.
Weiers hopes that people choose to stay in the Valley during the week between the Pro and Super bowls.
Weiers did say short-term city spending on things like public safety could be a drain, but a bill working through the Arizona Legislature would see Glendale reimbursed 50 percent of what it spends on hosting the two big games.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon