PHOENIX — An unvaccinated person who has measles may have spread the disease around portions of the Valley, Maricopa County Health Officials said Wednesday.
“Measles is the most contagious disease known to man, which is why when we find one case, we must act quickly to identify additional cases and stop the outbreak as soon as possible,” said Dr. Bob England, director of Maricopa County Department of Public Health, in a release.
The individual, who has not been identified, visited several areas in the Valley. Anyone who was at the following locations at the following times is asked to monitor themselves and call their health care provider if they notice anything out of the ordinary.
• March 29: Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport Terminal 4 from 6:30 p.m. until 10 p.m.
• March 30: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Cave Creek Chapel, 38008 N. Basin Road in Cave Creek (Cave Creek, Desert Ridge and Pinnacle Peak Wards) from 1 p.m. until 5 p.m.
• March 31: Wildflower Bread Company, 15640 N. Hayden Road in Scottsdale from noon until 5 p.m.
• March 31: Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport Terminal 4 from 3 p.m until 7 p.m.
Measles symptoms typically surface within seven to 12 days of exposure, but some cases take as long as 21 days. Symptoms generally begin with a high fever, red, watery eyes and a cough followed by a raised, red, blotchy rash that moves from the hairline down the body.
It is spread through coughing, sneezing and contact with certain body secretions. It can survive outside the body for hours.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets