PHOENIX — Just days after being inducted into his sport’s Hall of Fame, WWE wrestling star the Ultimate Warrior died Tuesday evening in Scottsdale.
James Brian Hellwig collapsed while walking with his wife at the Gainey Suites Hotel near Scottsdale Road and 73rd Street, said Scottsdale Police.
Warrior was pronounced dead at a local hospital. The Maricopa County Medical Examiner’s Office will conduct an autopsy Thursday, county spokeswoman Cari Gerchick said, but foul play is not suspected.
WWE had confirmed the death but not where it happened or cause of death.
Warrior (Hellwig legally changed his name), 54, had been welcomed into the Hall of Fame over the weekend and had appeared at WrestleMania30 in New Orleans.
The Ultimate Warrior had a falling out with the WWE and did not appear on its TV shows after July 8, 1996, until last weekend. He had reconciled with wrestling impresario Vince McMahon> he appeared before a crowd for the final time during the Hall of Fame weekend on “Raw.” He shook the ropes and the crowd went wild.
— WWE (@WWE) April 9, 2014
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development