PHOENIX — Just days after being inducted into his sport’s Hall of Fame, WWE wrestling star the Ultimate Warrior died Tuesday evening in Scottsdale.
James Brian Hellwig collapsed while walking with his wife at the Gainey Suites Hotel near Scottsdale Road and 73rd Street, said Scottsdale Police.
Warrior was pronounced dead at a local hospital. The Maricopa County Medical Examiner’s Office will conduct an autopsy Thursday, county spokeswoman Cari Gerchick said, but foul play is not suspected.
WWE had confirmed the death but not where it happened or cause of death.
Warrior (Hellwig legally changed his name), 54, had been welcomed into the Hall of Fame over the weekend and had appeared at WrestleMania30 in New Orleans.
The Ultimate Warrior had a falling out with the WWE and did not appear on its TV shows after July 8, 1996, until last weekend. He had reconciled with wrestling impresario Vince McMahon> he appeared before a crowd for the final time during the Hall of Fame weekend on “Raw.” He shook the ropes and the crowd went wild.
— WWE (@WWE) April 9, 2014
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier