PHOENIX — Federal health regulators have approved a device that delivers a single dose of a medication that can reverse the effects of a drug overdose.
The pocket-sized device is called Evzio, and the drug it will deliver is naloxone. Supporters say it will save lives when people lose consciousness or stop breathing because of a drug overdose.
The Phoenix Fire Department doesn’t use Evzio. Capt. Ruben Saavedra said they already have a better way of getting the medication into a patient’s system.
“We can inject this medication straight into their veins,” he said. “It goes right into their circulatory system and it works a lot faster.”
Saavedra said that his department has several ways to administer the drug.
“We can draw it up into a needle and give them a shot in their arm, which is considered neuromuscular,” he said. “Or we can give to them in an IV and it will go straight into their vein.”
They can also spray it into a victim’s nose.
Saavedra fears that once the Evzio device is available to the public, it will be used by people with a “legal issue” who fear that they’ll wind up in jail if the fire or police departments are called in to assist. That could lead to victims not getting the right treatment.
“Many times that one dose (delivered through the Evzio device) might not work,” said Saavedra. “That’s because many times, we have to give them multiple doses of that medication to come out of their overdose state.”
Evzio is expected to be available this summer.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again