PHOENIX — Best friends come in all sizes, ages and breeds.
Army Spc. Joshua Tucker’s best friend is pretty furry. She’s a black English Labrador mix named Ellen. The two shared the hardest moments of their lives on the frontlines in Afghanistan.
Tucker, from Chandler, and Ellen served together abroad from 2010 to 2011. Tucker trained Ellen to become his Military Working Dog. While overseas, they searched for improvised explosive devices and performed other dangerous missions. In 2011, Spc. Tucker was injured and returned to the U.S. for treatment. The two were then separated.
“Every night he would tell me ‘I miss her,'” said Sherie Tucker, his wife.
The Tuckers petitioned for two years to the Army to reunite Ellen with Tucker as his service dog but to no avail. In September, they reached out to Arizona Rep. Kyrsten Sinema for help to bring Ellen home.
“When we first got the call from Spc. Tucker and his wife, we were happy to help,” Sinema said.
Her office filed an appeal to the Army’s previous denials of the decision and, on Feb. 20, the Army granted permission for the Tuckers to adopt Ellen.
On March 29, Ellen came home.
“It was like she was real,” Tucker told WTTG-TV in Washington, D.C. “I felt more complete. I finally had that part that of my life that had been so important back.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night