PHOENIX — Best friends come in all sizes, ages and breeds.
Army Spc. Joshua Tucker’s best friend is pretty furry. She’s a black English Labrador mix named Ellen. The two shared the hardest moments of their lives on the frontlines in Afghanistan.
Tucker, from Chandler, and Ellen served together abroad from 2010 to 2011. Tucker trained Ellen to become his Military Working Dog. While overseas, they searched for improvised explosive devices and performed other dangerous missions. In 2011, Spc. Tucker was injured and returned to the U.S. for treatment. The two were then separated.
“Every night he would tell me ‘I miss her,'” said Sherie Tucker, his wife.
The Tuckers petitioned for two years to the Army to reunite Ellen with Tucker as his service dog but to no avail. In September, they reached out to Arizona Rep. Kyrsten Sinema for help to bring Ellen home.
“When we first got the call from Spc. Tucker and his wife, we were happy to help,” Sinema said.
Her office filed an appeal to the Army’s previous denials of the decision and, on Feb. 20, the Army granted permission for the Tuckers to adopt Ellen.
On March 29, Ellen came home.
“It was like she was real,” Tucker told WTTG-TV in Washington, D.C. “I felt more complete. I finally had that part that of my life that had been so important back.”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments