PHOENIX — Tuesday was National Equal Pay Day and to recognize the need to stop discriminatory pay practices, Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton and Councilwoman Kate Gallego announced a new effort to ensure that city contractors paid with taxpayer dollars practice equal pay among men and women.
“I think it’s a very attainable goal,” said Kate Gallego.
The council freshman has been entrusted by Stanton to lead an effort over the next few months to draft an equal pay measure that better ensures fair pay in the workplace and includes mechanisms to enforce the policy.
U.S. Bureau of Labor statistics show, across the nation, women are paid 77 cents for every dollar their male counterparts make. Although it trails the District of Columbia in pay equity, Arizona has the smallest pay gap among the 50 states. Women earn about 86 percent of what their male counterparts earned.
“The fact that women are paid less for the same work as men is a strike at our core values,” said Stanton in a press release. “We have a responsibility to do something about it, and we can take the lead in Phoenix by making sure that companies who do business with the city pay equal wages for equal work.”
Gallego will present her recommendation for a council vote.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier