PHOENIX — Arizona’s second largest city is doing away with pension spiking.
The city of Tucson will stop letting police, firefighters and other city workers count things like their unused sick and vacation time as compensation when figuring out their retirement benefits. The decision was made after the Tucson City Attorney’s Office determined that pension spiking is illegal under Arizona law.
The Goldwater Institute agrees.
“There’s a state law that’s real clear that you can’t use things like vacation leave or sick leave for retirement benefits,” said Jon Riches, attorney for the Goldwater Institute.
The institute is suing the city of Phoenix for allowing pension spiking. Riches said, not only is pension spiking illegal, it also puts a big burden on taxpayers.
“Phoenix pension costs alone have increased over the last 10 years from about $7.2 million to over $120 million today,” he said.
The lawsuit is currently making its way through the courts.
“Just last week, our clients, Phoenix taxpayers, filed what’s called a preliminary injunction to ask the court to stop the pension spiking in Phoenix while the court reviews all of the underlying issues in the case,” Riches said.
The judge is now in the process of scheduling a briefing in the case.
In October, the Phoenix City Council approved a plan that would do away with any future pension spiking, but allows workers to continue doing it until July. The Goldwater Institute said that’s illegal, but Mayor Greg Stanton is satisfied with the decision.
“The pension spiking that we passed, moving forward, would say that you cannot allow for pensionability of things like a car allowance, or phone allowance, or vacation payback or any of that moving forward,” he said. “We just did not ‘claw’ back for those benefits that had already been accrued. That would have likely been illegal.”
Stanton said he would have more comment about Tucson’s decision after he receives a full briefing about it.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick