PHOENIX — National Work Zone Awareness Week is a reminder to drivers to slow down when approaching roadway work zones.
Eight people died in Arizona roadway work-zone crashes in 2012, the most recent year the statistics are available.
Arizona Department of Transportation has more than 100 highway improvement projects underway across the state. Department spokesman Doug Nintzel said even though some drivers could face double fines, speeding remained a problem in work zones.
“Federal figures show 80 percent of the people killed in work-zone crashes are drivers or passengers. They’re speeding, not paying attention, failing to move over,” Nintzel said.
Tailgating and texting drivers are also factors.
“That’s why we have put an emphasis on the states move over law which requires drivers to change lanes or slow down when passing vehicles with flashing lights.”
Nintzel said not only are the drivers putting their lives in danger in the work zones but highway patrol officers are also at risk.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier