PHOENIX — National Work Zone Awareness Week is a reminder to drivers to slow down when approaching roadway work zones.
Eight people died in Arizona roadway work-zone crashes in 2012, the most recent year the statistics are available.
Arizona Department of Transportation has more than 100 highway improvement projects underway across the state. Department spokesman Doug Nintzel said even though some drivers could face double fines, speeding remained a problem in work zones.
“Federal figures show 80 percent of the people killed in work-zone crashes are drivers or passengers. They’re speeding, not paying attention, failing to move over,” Nintzel said.
Tailgating and texting drivers are also factors.
“That’s why we have put an emphasis on the states move over law which requires drivers to change lanes or slow down when passing vehicles with flashing lights.”
Nintzel said not only are the drivers putting their lives in danger in the work zones but highway patrol officers are also at risk.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy