PHOENIX — Hiking trails in the Valley are getting plenty of presunrise usage as the first 90-degree day of the year arrives, but those morning climbers still need to take precautions, said a rescue worker.
Carloads of hikers started arriving at Piestewa Peak on Tuesday before dawn, even before the gates opened, to get ahead of the heat.
But beating the sun shouldn’t be their only consideration, said Phoenix Fire Capt. Jonathan Jacobs. The mid-90 temperatures combined with single-digit humidity can’t be ignored.
“Hikers must stay hydrated. Every year we see a lot of people get stuck on the Valley mountains and they can’t physically continue,” Jacobs said.
Jacobs said rescue crews see many people who are in the Valley this time of year to enjoy the weather and they hit the trails in the preserve areas without understanding the challenges.
“Sometimes the mountains don’t look that tough. Add in the heat element and now it goes up to a whole different level. Especially if your body isn’t tuned to the temps. That is a recipe for disaster.”
Last year Phoenix Fire carried out 164 mountain rescues. Jacobs said the department is on pace top that number with 72 rescue calls already on the books this year. Last year from Jan. 1 through the end of March there were 36 mountain rescues.
“When you move from heat cramps to heat exhaustion, it doesn’t matter how much you think you can climb, your body is not going to let you,” Jacobs said.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food