PHOENIX — The Yuma High Criminals are fighting to be the best mascot in the country.
The Criminals are competing against seven other Arizona schools to win the first round of USA Today’s “High School Sports: America’s Best” contest series.
Other Arizona schools competing to move into the regional round include: The Bagdad Sultans, Apache Junction Prospectors, Page Sand Devils, Gila Bend Gila Monsters, Heritage Academy (Mesa) Heroes, Valley Vista (Surprise) Monsoon and the Verrado (Buckeye) Vipers.
According to the Yuma High athletic department, the school earned its “criminal” mascot about a century ago when Yuma High students had to attend classes in a vacated prison after the original school building burned down.
You can cast your favorite mascot vote at contest.usatodayhss.com. There is no limit to how many times a person can vote. The first round of voting ends Tuesday at noon.
After the Arizona winner is determined, there will be a round of voting consisting of team mascots from eight regions, followed by a national voting round.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development