PHOENIX — Chicago, Denver and Seattle do it.
Now, Phoenix is considering offering free or reduced public transit fares to veterans.
On Tuesday, the Transportation and Infrastructure Subcommittee is expected to decide whether to pursue the idea.
According to a city council report, there are more than 275,000 veterans living in Maricopa County, including more than 80,000 in Phoenix. Depending on the number of veterans who would use the bus or light rail, the free or reduced fare program could cost from $300,000 to more than $2 million a year.
The Valley Metro transit system already offers a reduced fare program to children, seniors and people with disabilities.
If the Phoenix subcommittee votes to move forward with the veterans program, its staff would provide a detailed cost analysis. Final approval would need to come from the full city council and the Valley Metro Board of Directors.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas