PHOENIX — Chicago, Denver and Seattle do it.
Now, Phoenix is considering offering free or reduced public transit fares to veterans.
On Tuesday, the Transportation and Infrastructure Subcommittee is expected to decide whether to pursue the idea.
According to a city council report, there are more than 275,000 veterans living in Maricopa County, including more than 80,000 in Phoenix. Depending on the number of veterans who would use the bus or light rail, the free or reduced fare program could cost from $300,000 to more than $2 million a year.
The Valley Metro transit system already offers a reduced fare program to children, seniors and people with disabilities.
If the Phoenix subcommittee votes to move forward with the veterans program, its staff would provide a detailed cost analysis. Final approval would need to come from the full city council and the Valley Metro Board of Directors.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food