PHOENIX — Chicago, Denver and Seattle do it.
Now, Phoenix is considering offering free or reduced public transit fares to veterans.
On Tuesday, the Transportation and Infrastructure Subcommittee is expected to decide whether to pursue the idea.
According to a city council report, there are more than 275,000 veterans living in Maricopa County, including more than 80,000 in Phoenix. Depending on the number of veterans who would use the bus or light rail, the free or reduced fare program could cost from $300,000 to more than $2 million a year.
The Valley Metro transit system already offers a reduced fare program to children, seniors and people with disabilities.
If the Phoenix subcommittee votes to move forward with the veterans program, its staff would provide a detailed cost analysis. Final approval would need to come from the full city council and the Valley Metro Board of Directors.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development