PHOENIX — Looking to volunteer? It’s National Volunteer Week and two Valley charities can help you get started.
For more than 20 years, HandsOn Greater Phoenix has been connecting volunteers with nonprofits who need a little help.
CEO Rhonda Oliver said last year that 22,000 volunteers contributed more than 70,000 hours to improve communities.
“We have projects nearly everyday,” she said. “There is something for everyone.”
Over at Families Giving Back, co-founder Alexandra Sklar makes sure children are not forgotten in the volunteering process. In 2012, she and friend Lisa Geyser created the nonprofit, which organizes family-friendly volunteer projects for all ages.
With Families Giving Back, kids and adults have stocked food pantries, participated in beautification projects and made bracelets for sick children. Sklar said she has seen the impact in her own children “in their ability to appreciate what they have in their lives and also their desire to give back to others.”
Projects through Families Giving Back generally last 90 minutes or less, while HandsOn Greater Phoenix offers short and long-term projects.
According to the Corporation for National and Community Service, an independent federal agency, 24.2 percent of Arizonans volunteer, ranking it No. 41. Utah has the highest percentage at 43.8 percent and Louisiana the lowest at 20.4 percent.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets