PHOENIX — Looking to volunteer? It’s National Volunteer Week and two Valley charities can help you get started.
For more than 20 years, HandsOn Greater Phoenix has been connecting volunteers with nonprofits who need a little help.
CEO Rhonda Oliver said last year that 22,000 volunteers contributed more than 70,000 hours to improve communities.
“We have projects nearly everyday,” she said. “There is something for everyone.”
Over at Families Giving Back, co-founder Alexandra Sklar makes sure children are not forgotten in the volunteering process. In 2012, she and friend Lisa Geyser created the nonprofit, which organizes family-friendly volunteer projects for all ages.
With Families Giving Back, kids and adults have stocked food pantries, participated in beautification projects and made bracelets for sick children. Sklar said she has seen the impact in her own children “in their ability to appreciate what they have in their lives and also their desire to give back to others.”
Projects through Families Giving Back generally last 90 minutes or less, while HandsOn Greater Phoenix offers short and long-term projects.
According to the Corporation for National and Community Service, an independent federal agency, 24.2 percent of Arizonans volunteer, ranking it No. 41. Utah has the highest percentage at 43.8 percent and Louisiana the lowest at 20.4 percent.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development