PHOENIX — Looking to volunteer? It’s National Volunteer Week and two Valley charities can help you get started.
For more than 20 years, HandsOn Greater Phoenix has been connecting volunteers with nonprofits who need a little help.
CEO Rhonda Oliver said last year that 22,000 volunteers contributed more than 70,000 hours to improve communities.
“We have projects nearly everyday,” she said. “There is something for everyone.”
Over at Families Giving Back, co-founder Alexandra Sklar makes sure children are not forgotten in the volunteering process. In 2012, she and friend Lisa Geyser created the nonprofit, which organizes family-friendly volunteer projects for all ages.
With Families Giving Back, kids and adults have stocked food pantries, participated in beautification projects and made bracelets for sick children. Sklar said she has seen the impact in her own children “in their ability to appreciate what they have in their lives and also their desire to give back to others.”
Projects through Families Giving Back generally last 90 minutes or less, while HandsOn Greater Phoenix offers short and long-term projects.
According to the Corporation for National and Community Service, an independent federal agency, 24.2 percent of Arizonans volunteer, ranking it No. 41. Utah has the highest percentage at 43.8 percent and Louisiana the lowest at 20.4 percent.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America