PHOENIX — The Flagstaff City Council will meet Tuesday to discuss where about $1.5 million in nonprofit funding will go.
Each non-profit has to prove they still need it.
“It’s always a matter of priorities and I want to make sure that the city takes care of its own house first,” said Flagstaff Mayor Jerry Nabours.
The mayor proposed a 10 percent cut to some non-profits, specifically the nearly $300,000 that the city is set to give to United Way this year. It’s a political hot potato, he said.
“It’s tough to say ‘We’re going to take money away from United Way,'” Nabours said. “‘Oh, you know, you don’t like non-profits’ [people might say], which of course is not true.”
The city’s police, fire, parks, city buildings and administration should come first, he said.
“I think that each individual should decide who they want to give their charitable donations to,” Nabours said.
The funding decisions should be clear by the end of April, though the city budget won’t be released until June. The money comes from the city’s general fund and a restaurant and hotel tax.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments