PHOENIX — The Flagstaff City Council will meet Tuesday to discuss where about $1.5 million in nonprofit funding will go.
Each non-profit has to prove they still need it.
“It’s always a matter of priorities and I want to make sure that the city takes care of its own house first,” said Flagstaff Mayor Jerry Nabours.
The mayor proposed a 10 percent cut to some non-profits, specifically the nearly $300,000 that the city is set to give to United Way this year. It’s a political hot potato, he said.
“It’s tough to say ‘We’re going to take money away from United Way,'” Nabours said. “‘Oh, you know, you don’t like non-profits’ [people might say], which of course is not true.”
The city’s police, fire, parks, city buildings and administration should come first, he said.
“I think that each individual should decide who they want to give their charitable donations to,” Nabours said.
The funding decisions should be clear by the end of April, though the city budget won’t be released until June. The money comes from the city’s general fund and a restaurant and hotel tax.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development