PHOENIX — The Flagstaff City Council will meet Tuesday to discuss where about $1.5 million in nonprofit funding will go.
Each non-profit has to prove they still need it.
“It’s always a matter of priorities and I want to make sure that the city takes care of its own house first,” said Flagstaff Mayor Jerry Nabours.
The mayor proposed a 10 percent cut to some non-profits, specifically the nearly $300,000 that the city is set to give to United Way this year. It’s a political hot potato, he said.
“It’s tough to say ‘We’re going to take money away from United Way,'” Nabours said. “‘Oh, you know, you don’t like non-profits’ [people might say], which of course is not true.”
The city’s police, fire, parks, city buildings and administration should come first, he said.
“I think that each individual should decide who they want to give their charitable donations to,” Nabours said.
The funding decisions should be clear by the end of April, though the city budget won’t be released until June. The money comes from the city’s general fund and a restaurant and hotel tax.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night