Talk about an unfortunate situation: A group of coworkers in New Jersey thought they won last Saturday’s $900 million Powerball jackpot, only to have their hopes crushed just minutes later, according to BuzzFeed.
The 42 coworkers at Grissini Ristorante in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, took part in a lottery pool, where they piled together their hard-earned cash for a chance to become millionaires — and boy, did they almost.
The coworkers were gathered at the restaurant for last week’s drawing and listened intently as bartender Charles Poveromo read off the winning numbers — which happened to be on one of the tickets.
“It was surreal, it was just unbelievable,” Poveromo said in an interview with Buzzfeed. “It was such a feeling — I cant even explain it.”
After 15 minutes of joyous celebrating, cheering and even one man quitting his dishwashing job, the coworkers discovered an error in their findings: The winning numbers were from the previous drawing, not the current one.
Although Poveromo and team did not win, they did not give up, even buying tickets for Wednesday’s Powerball drawing.
“I wouldn’t trade that feeling for anything in the world,” he said in an interview with Buzzfeed. “Even though we didn’t win, it was such a great feeling and something we will always have.”
- This 90-second video about a blue marble will capture your attention
- YouTube animator debuts yearlong ‘pop culture typography’ project
- Kindergarten class breaks into ‘Happy Birthday’ when chick hatches
- Little girl declares her love for waffles through tearful Facebook video
- YouTube video shows off epic self-direction campaign