PHOENIX — Sky Harbor marked the one-year anniversary Monday of Sky Train, which connects the Valley Metro Light Rail station at 44th and Washington streets to the airport’s Terminal 4.
Deputy Aviation Director Steve Grubbs said the automated train, which also makes a stop at the East Economy parking lot, averaged about 10,000 passengers daily, for total of approximately 3.5 million for the year.
Grubbs said that’s 20-30 percent more than originally projected.
Monday also marked the beginning of testing of the next section that connects Terminal 3 with Terminal 4.
“That will be up and operating to the public in time for next year’s Super Bowl in the Valley.” Grubbs said. “And we anticipate an increase in ridership of up to 20 percent than the first stage.”
Part of that project includes a walkway between Terminal 2 and Terminal 3 that should also be open open in time for Super Bowl XLIX in Glendale.
There’s no hard timetable for the ultimate completion of Sky Train to the rental-car center, but Grubbs believed it could be finished in the early 2020s.
Upon completion, passengers will no longer have to take buses to the airport terminals.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes