PHOENIX — Sky Harbor marked the one-year anniversary Monday of Sky Train, which connects the Valley Metro Light Rail station at 44th and Washington streets to the airport’s Terminal 4.
Deputy Aviation Director Steve Grubbs said the automated train, which also makes a stop at the East Economy parking lot, averaged about 10,000 passengers daily, for total of approximately 3.5 million for the year.
Grubbs said that’s 20-30 percent more than originally projected.
Monday also marked the beginning of testing of the next section that connects Terminal 3 with Terminal 4.
“That will be up and operating to the public in time for next year’s Super Bowl in the Valley.” Grubbs said. “And we anticipate an increase in ridership of up to 20 percent than the first stage.”
Part of that project includes a walkway between Terminal 2 and Terminal 3 that should also be open open in time for Super Bowl XLIX in Glendale.
There’s no hard timetable for the ultimate completion of Sky Train to the rental-car center, but Grubbs believed it could be finished in the early 2020s.
Upon completion, passengers will no longer have to take buses to the airport terminals.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food