PHOENIX — Sky Harbor marked the one-year anniversary Monday of Sky Train, which connects the Valley Metro Light Rail station at 44th and Washington streets to the airport’s Terminal 4.
Deputy Aviation Director Steve Grubbs said the automated train, which also makes a stop at the East Economy parking lot, averaged about 10,000 passengers daily, for total of approximately 3.5 million for the year.
Grubbs said that’s 20-30 percent more than originally projected.
Monday also marked the beginning of testing of the next section that connects Terminal 3 with Terminal 4.
“That will be up and operating to the public in time for next year’s Super Bowl in the Valley.” Grubbs said. “And we anticipate an increase in ridership of up to 20 percent than the first stage.”
Part of that project includes a walkway between Terminal 2 and Terminal 3 that should also be open open in time for Super Bowl XLIX in Glendale.
There’s no hard timetable for the ultimate completion of Sky Train to the rental-car center, but Grubbs believed it could be finished in the early 2020s.
Upon completion, passengers will no longer have to take buses to the airport terminals.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.