PHOENIX – With temperatures expected to hit the 90s this week in the Valley, many people might be turning on their car air-conditioning for the first time this year.
KTAR’s Matt Allen from Bumper to Bumper Radio said it’s a good idea to get air-conditioning systems checked before the middle of the summer months.
“This time of the year it’s going to be good right now because the system isn’t getting work hard, so when it’s 70 or 80 or 90 degrees it’s going to work really well even if it has a minor problem or is low on charge,” he said. “(You) really won’t know until we get into the heat of the summer if you have any issues.”
Allen said some common issues could be as simple as recharging the system or checking air filters.
“If it’s really ice cold in the mornings and then you come out in the 80-degree air, or the 90-degree air where the car has been sitting in the sun… and it takes a while to cool down then you probably have an issue,” he said. “You need to get it in to have it checked and check the charge level, you want to check your cabin air filter and make sure that it’s clean so your getting good air flow.”
For charge issues he said it’s best to take a car in to be serviced rather than buying a consumer charging kit.
“The charge kit you buy at your favorite auto parts store, it’s 12 or 18 ounces of refrigerant and these systems are so critical,” he said. “You can over charge or under charge them by 2 ounces of refrigerant and it can make the system not perform well.”
Allen said one easy fix to check for before taking a car into the shop is to simply look at debris stuck in the car grille. Things such as leaves, sand, plastic bags or other foreign objects can restrict airflow into a car and reduce its air-conditioning performance, according to Allen.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them