PHOENIX – For the first time, third-graders who fail the reading portion of state-required standardized testing will not advance to fourth grade.
Gov. Jan Brewer signed a law in 2010 called Move On When Reading. It not only required that third-graders pass the reading portion of the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS), but it also created a $40 million fund for remedial reading programs for elementary school students in kindergarten to third grade.
In cases of failure, third-grade students who fall below their reading grade level will have to be held back and schools must offer them extra reading time during the academic year or through online or summer classes.
Arizona students from third grade through high school will take AIMS this week. Parents are encouraged to make sure kids get enough rest and eat healthy breakfasts so they are physically prepared.
Tips for parents looking to help their children prepare for the AIMS test are available on the Arizona Education website.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick