PHOENIX – For the first time, third-graders who fail the reading portion of state-required standardized testing will not advance to fourth grade.
Gov. Jan Brewer signed a law in 2010 called Move On When Reading. It not only required that third-graders pass the reading portion of the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS), but it also created a $40 million fund for remedial reading programs for elementary school students in kindergarten to third grade.
In cases of failure, third-grade students who fall below their reading grade level will have to be held back and schools must offer them extra reading time during the academic year or through online or summer classes.
Arizona students from third grade through high school will take AIMS this week. Parents are encouraged to make sure kids get enough rest and eat healthy breakfasts so they are physically prepared.
Tips for parents looking to help their children prepare for the AIMS test are available on the Arizona Education website.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns