CHANDLER, Ariz. — April is Oral Cancer Awareness
The American Dental Association says 44,000 Americans will get oral or throat cancer this year.
Chandler dentist Justin Phillip said he has seen a lot of patients get those diseases.
“One American dies every hour from oral cancer,” said Philipp. “It’s actually as deadly as melanoma, and more common than leukemia.”
There can be several symptoms, he said.
“Pain, swelling, tingling, a visible red or white patch or bump. Unfortunately, you don’t see any of the symptoms until you get to stage 3 or 4, and that’s when the cancer can spread,” said Philipp.
He said it’s easy to treat if caught early. And it just takes a simple two-minute test, usually while your dentist cleans your teeth.
“We have you swish with some liquid,” Philipp said. “Then we use a special wavelength of light along with some glasses. What we see is the cancer when it’s stage 1 or 2, and easy to treat. It will actually glow, and we can take care of it.”
The test usually costs about $30. This month, Philipp is donating $5 from every oral cancer exam to the Oral Cancer Foundation.
Click here to visit Philipp’s website.
In the videos below, Philipp performs a check for oral cancer on a female patient.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night