CHANDLER, Ariz. — April is Oral Cancer Awareness
The American Dental Association says 44,000 Americans will get oral or throat cancer this year.
Chandler dentist Justin Phillip said he has seen a lot of patients get those diseases.
“One American dies every hour from oral cancer,” said Philipp. “It’s actually as deadly as melanoma, and more common than leukemia.”
There can be several symptoms, he said.
“Pain, swelling, tingling, a visible red or white patch or bump. Unfortunately, you don’t see any of the symptoms until you get to stage 3 or 4, and that’s when the cancer can spread,” said Philipp.
He said it’s easy to treat if caught early. And it just takes a simple two-minute test, usually while your dentist cleans your teeth.
“We have you swish with some liquid,” Philipp said. “Then we use a special wavelength of light along with some glasses. What we see is the cancer when it’s stage 1 or 2, and easy to treat. It will actually glow, and we can take care of it.”
The test usually costs about $30. This month, Philipp is donating $5 from every oral cancer exam to the Oral Cancer Foundation.
Click here to visit Philipp’s website.
In the videos below, Philipp performs a check for oral cancer on a female patient.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon