CHANDLER, Ariz. — April is Oral Cancer Awareness
The American Dental Association says 44,000 Americans will get oral or throat cancer this year.
Chandler dentist Justin Phillip said he has seen a lot of patients get those diseases.
“One American dies every hour from oral cancer,” said Philipp. “It’s actually as deadly as melanoma, and more common than leukemia.”
There can be several symptoms, he said.
“Pain, swelling, tingling, a visible red or white patch or bump. Unfortunately, you don’t see any of the symptoms until you get to stage 3 or 4, and that’s when the cancer can spread,” said Philipp.
He said it’s easy to treat if caught early. And it just takes a simple two-minute test, usually while your dentist cleans your teeth.
“We have you swish with some liquid,” Philipp said. “Then we use a special wavelength of light along with some glasses. What we see is the cancer when it’s stage 1 or 2, and easy to treat. It will actually glow, and we can take care of it.”
The test usually costs about $30. This month, Philipp is donating $5 from every oral cancer exam to the Oral Cancer Foundation.
Click here to visit Philipp’s website.
In the videos below, Philipp performs a check for oral cancer on a female patient.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.