PHOENIX — Plenty of homes around the Phoenix metropolitan area might be for sale, but according to one online real estate database, nearly half of them are not affordable for the general public.
According to PhoenixBusinessJournal.com, Zillow Inc. believes that around 44 percent of all listings are unaffordable — a sizable percentage and one that is higher than the national average.
PBJ noted that Zillow breaks down affordability based on three different data sets: fourth-quarter median household income, fourth-quarter median list price and how much of a typical family’s household income was historically spent on mortgage payments during pre-bubble years (1985 to 2000).
Zillow determined about 56 percent of metro Phoenix listings are affordable because the typical buyer ($53,556 median income) purchasing the typical home ($187,900 median price) would spend less than 22.3 percent (historical pre-bubble figure) of their income on mortgage payments.
“As affordability worsens, we’re already beginning to see more of the kinds of worrisome trends we saw en masse during the years leading up to the housing crash,” Zillow Chief Economist Stan Humphries said in the report. “These include a greater reliance on non-traditional home financing, smaller down payments and a greater pressure to move further away from urban job centers in order to find affordable housing options.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development