PHOENIX — An immigrant rights march known as “The Trail to end Deportation” will reach the finish line on Friday.
Members of the Puente Human Rights Movement were walking through Coolidge, Ariz. Friday afternoon as part of a 60-mile march that began on Wednesday. It started outside Immigration and Customs Enforcement headquarters in Phoenix and will end at a detention center in Eloy.
Puente organizer Carlos Garcia talked about why the group is walking.
“Some of the families are trying to draw attention to the separation that they’re going through,” he said. “They’re asking for their family members to get out of detention, for ICE to release them and to stop the deportations.”
Garcia said the walk has been very encouraging for him.
“The last couple of days have been tiring, but they’ve also been inspiring,” he said. “People have been getting to know each other. We’re able to tell stories. We’re stopping along the way with people that are sympathetic and want to hear what’s going on.”
Supporters have been periodically walking with the group. Garcia said that about 30 walkers are with the group in Coolidge, but he expects that number to grow as they get closer to their destination.
The group plans to arrive in Eloy by Friday night. They will sleep in front of the Eloy Detention Center before holding a rally there at 10 a.m. Saturday morning.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas