PHOENIX — An immigrant rights march known as “The Trail to end Deportation” will reach the finish line on Friday.
Members of the Puente Human Rights Movement were walking through Coolidge, Ariz. Friday afternoon as part of a 60-mile march that began on Wednesday. It started outside Immigration and Customs Enforcement headquarters in Phoenix and will end at a detention center in Eloy.
Puente organizer Carlos Garcia talked about why the group is walking.
“Some of the families are trying to draw attention to the separation that they’re going through,” he said. “They’re asking for their family members to get out of detention, for ICE to release them and to stop the deportations.”
Garcia said the walk has been very encouraging for him.
“The last couple of days have been tiring, but they’ve also been inspiring,” he said. “People have been getting to know each other. We’re able to tell stories. We’re stopping along the way with people that are sympathetic and want to hear what’s going on.”
Supporters have been periodically walking with the group. Garcia said that about 30 walkers are with the group in Coolidge, but he expects that number to grow as they get closer to their destination.
The group plans to arrive in Eloy by Friday night. They will sleep in front of the Eloy Detention Center before holding a rally there at 10 a.m. Saturday morning.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them