PHOENIX — Just as Lasik eye surgery has improved the lives of millions, a procedure new to the Valley is providing people with hearing loss the opportunity to have an improved quality of life.
“It’s opened up the communication lines both professionally and personally,” said LoriAnn Harnish, who had the procedure. “I’ve had some really awakening experiences in hearing things that I haven’t heard for years, since I was a kid.”
Harnish lost much of her hearing because of childhood illness. After utilizing dozens of hearing aids, Harnish was part of a clinical trial to test the Esteem Hearing Implant.
“I’ve got 90 percent of my hearing,” she said.
The Esteem Hearing Implant is leading the way as the first FDA-approved technology to offer a permanent and invisible hearing solution. The system relies on the shape of the ear and the ear canal to collect sound, delivering a more natural sound quality than hearing aids.
Basically, a sound processor is implanted under the scalp, behind the ear. The processor is then wired to another component located in the middle ear.
The three-hour procedure is being offered by only one Valley specialist, Dr. Mark Syms, of the Arizona Ear Center.
“There is nothing like this on the market right now,” said Syms. “The Esteem is the only FDA-approved, fully implanted, active middle ear hearing device available. Unlike conventional hearing aids, there are no external components and nothing in the ear canal, making it the only device of its kind available today.”
For more information, click here.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon