PHOENIX — Orange is the dominant color of the Phoenix Suns, but on Sunday they’ll go green, when US Airways Center will be powered by renewable energy.
The arena will be using 64,000 kilowatt hours of renewable energy purchased from APS. That is the same amount of energy that would power 1,700 homes for a day.
“They call it the Valley of the Sun for a reason and there’s no reason to not take advantage of all that sunshine and converting it into energy,” Suns President Jason Rowley said.
“Companies and consumers have an obligation these days to be as green and promote sustainability as much as possible. This is our way and APS’ way of promoting that.”
Rowley said that the team is committed to using solar energy by having almost 1,000 solar panels covering 17,000 square feet of the parking garage. That array produces energy to power 20 game days for the Suns.
The first 1,000 fans in the door Sunday will receive a reusable tote bag. Tipoff is 6 p.m.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America