PHOENIX — Orange is the dominant color of the Phoenix Suns, but on Sunday they’ll go green, when US Airways Center will be powered by renewable energy.
The arena will be using 64,000 kilowatt hours of renewable energy purchased from APS. That is the same amount of energy that would power 1,700 homes for a day.
“They call it the Valley of the Sun for a reason and there’s no reason to not take advantage of all that sunshine and converting it into energy,” Suns President Jason Rowley said.
“Companies and consumers have an obligation these days to be as green and promote sustainability as much as possible. This is our way and APS’ way of promoting that.”
Rowley said that the team is committed to using solar energy by having almost 1,000 solar panels covering 17,000 square feet of the parking garage. That array produces energy to power 20 game days for the Suns.
The first 1,000 fans in the door Sunday will receive a reusable tote bag. Tipoff is 6 p.m.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain