PHOENIX — Orange is the dominant color of the Phoenix Suns, but on Sunday they’ll go green, when US Airways Center will be powered by renewable energy.
The arena will be using 64,000 kilowatt hours of renewable energy purchased from APS. That is the same amount of energy that would power 1,700 homes for a day.
“They call it the Valley of the Sun for a reason and there’s no reason to not take advantage of all that sunshine and converting it into energy,” Suns President Jason Rowley said.
“Companies and consumers have an obligation these days to be as green and promote sustainability as much as possible. This is our way and APS’ way of promoting that.”
Rowley said that the team is committed to using solar energy by having almost 1,000 solar panels covering 17,000 square feet of the parking garage. That array produces energy to power 20 game days for the Suns.
The first 1,000 fans in the door Sunday will receive a reusable tote bag. Tipoff is 6 p.m.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development