SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Doctors and patients at Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center are urging Valley resident to “donate life.”
They met at the hospital Thursday to raise awareness of how important it is for people to sign up to be organ donors.
One of them was Mark Larson. His life was saved 18 years ago when he received the kidney of a man who died of a brain aneurysm. He now has a friendship with the deceased man’s mother.
“She calls me ‘mijo’ (my son), because she feels like her son is living,” said Larson. “There’s a kidney for me, a heart for somebody else, another kidney for somebody else, and a liver for somebody else. She knows that she saved the lives of at least five people [by making sure that her son’s organs were donated].”
Gene Brady lost his 26-year-old daughter Elizabeth to a brain aneurysm in 1987. Because his daughter was an organ donor, Brady knows that her death has given life to others.
“We know that because of the decision to donate life, two men are raising families because of her kidneys,” said Brady.
April is National Donate Life Month. More than 120,000 people in the U.S. are waiting for a life-saving transplant, including 2,500 people in Arizona. Sixteen people who are waiting for a transplant die in the country every day. Arizona had its most successful transplant year in 2013, with 180 donors saving the lives of 492 people.
Scottsdale Healthcare is hosting two donor registration events this month.
One is on April 9 from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Scottsdale Healthcare Shea Medical Center, located at 9003 E. Shea Blvd.
The second event is on April 14 from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Scottsdale Healthcare Thompson Peak, which is located at 7400 E. Thompson Peak Pkwy.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck