SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Doctors and patients at Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center are urging Valley resident to “donate life.”
They met at the hospital Thursday to raise awareness of how important it is for people to sign up to be organ donors.
One of them was Mark Larson. His life was saved 18 years ago when he received the kidney of a man who died of a brain aneurysm. He now has a friendship with the deceased man’s mother.
“She calls me ‘mijo’ (my son), because she feels like her son is living,” said Larson. “There’s a kidney for me, a heart for somebody else, another kidney for somebody else, and a liver for somebody else. She knows that she saved the lives of at least five people [by making sure that her son’s organs were donated].”
Gene Brady lost his 26-year-old daughter Elizabeth to a brain aneurysm in 1987. Because his daughter was an organ donor, Brady knows that her death has given life to others.
“We know that because of the decision to donate life, two men are raising families because of her kidneys,” said Brady.
April is National Donate Life Month. More than 120,000 people in the U.S. are waiting for a life-saving transplant, including 2,500 people in Arizona. Sixteen people who are waiting for a transplant die in the country every day. Arizona had its most successful transplant year in 2013, with 180 donors saving the lives of 492 people.
Scottsdale Healthcare is hosting two donor registration events this month.
One is on April 9 from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Scottsdale Healthcare Shea Medical Center, located at 9003 E. Shea Blvd.
The second event is on April 14 from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Scottsdale Healthcare Thompson Peak, which is located at 7400 E. Thompson Peak Pkwy.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets