PHOENIX — Two Valley high school students are getting an opportunity to not only learn a new language, but to also experience it.
Cactus Shadows High School juniors Samuel Slack and Dominique Troyanos were selected from more than 5,000 applicants to the National Security Language Initiative for Youth to have an opportunity to travel abroad over the summer to study a new language.
Those selected by the program were given a choice of seven countries to which they could travel, and both Slack and Troyanos chose to study in the Sichuan province in China, where they will spend six weeks learning Mandarin while being immersed in the Chinese culture.
Slack said he is very excited about the trip and the unique experience it offers.
“It’s always fun when you can communicate with people that live halfway across the world, and you can read a menu or talk to people about really interesting stuff when they have a completely different background,” Slack said.
Troyanos said this will be her fourth language, but said she considers it one of the most important.
“It’s the one that I have the most interest in because it’s so different from anything I’ve ever tried before,” she said. “It’s also economically becoming very important that we can communicate and understand the Chinese culture.”
Both students will live with host families and spend hours studying Mandarin every day.
Slack and Troyanos will first leave for New York on July 5, then depart for China two days later. Slack said they will return to the U.S. on Aug. 21.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets