PHOENIX — Tempe police detectives are not laughing at what a suspected jewel thief described as an April Fools’ Day joke.
Police alleged 27-year-old Phuoc Tran had scoped out a $25,000 diamond at a jewelry store inside Arizona Mills Mall in Tempe on Monday. The following day, April 1, Tran allegedly walked into the same jewelry store and asked to see the gem.
“He turned around quickly and pretended he was going to run out of the store,” said Tempe Police Sgt. Mike Pooley. “It was then he swapped the real gem for a fake, a cubic zirconia. He told the clerk, ‘April Fools! I was just kidding. I didn’t want you to think I was going to run.'”
The employee noticed the fake jewel and notified police. The following day, Tran reportedly returned to the store to return the stolen diamond and told workers it was all a prank.
Detectives arrested Tran for felony theft. During an interview, Tran admitted that he had planned to use the diamond to propose to his girlfriend the following week.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains