PHOENIX — An 18-year-old girl who fell to her death Sunday attended a fraternity party that received a citation from officers, police said.
Naomi McClendon was killed after she fell 10 stories about 2:40 a.m. Sunday morning after becoming intoxicated at a party at 1416 S. Jentilly Lane. Police said the party was hosted by Arizona State University students claiming they were part of the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity, which is no longer recognized by the university following a series of drinking-related issues.
“They were charging $30 to get in,” Tempe Police Sgt. Mike Pooley said. “Once you got in, you were able to drink as much alcohol as you wanted.”
Pooley said officers broke up the party after McClendon and her friends had left.
“Our patrol officers got out there and we shut the party down,” he said. “We arrested seven underage drinkers from the party and the…ones throwing the party (were cited).”
McClendon was left alone in an apartment by her friends, who believed she was going to sleep. Instead, the Kansas native fell to her death.
As a result of McClendon’s death, Pooley said numerous agencies are combining to create a crackdown this weekend.
“We’re not going to have leniency this weekend,” he said, adding that the plan includes a “very large” DUI task force and an expanded party task force.
But McClendon’s death is not the only contributing factor. Police also want to get student behavior under control.
“We do have people continuing to put themselves into these situations,” Pooley said. “We have people continuing to provide alcohol to minors. We continue to have people that are letting people binge drink to the point that they don’t even know what’s going on and people are going to get hurt.”
Pooley said more charges may be pending in the case.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier