PHOENIX — An 18-year-old girl who fell to her death Sunday attended a fraternity party that received a citation from officers, police said.
Naomi McClendon was killed after she fell 10 stories about 2:40 a.m. Sunday morning after becoming intoxicated at a party at 1416 S. Jentilly Lane. Police said the party was hosted by Arizona State University students claiming they were part of the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity, which is no longer recognized by the university following a series of drinking-related issues.
“They were charging $30 to get in,” Tempe Police Sgt. Mike Pooley said. “Once you got in, you were able to drink as much alcohol as you wanted.”
Pooley said officers broke up the party after McClendon and her friends had left.
“Our patrol officers got out there and we shut the party down,” he said. “We arrested seven underage drinkers from the party and the…ones throwing the party (were cited).”
McClendon was left alone in an apartment by her friends, who believed she was going to sleep. Instead, the Kansas native fell to her death.
As a result of McClendon’s death, Pooley said numerous agencies are combining to create a crackdown this weekend.
“We’re not going to have leniency this weekend,” he said, adding that the plan includes a “very large” DUI task force and an expanded party task force.
But McClendon’s death is not the only contributing factor. Police also want to get student behavior under control.
“We do have people continuing to put themselves into these situations,” Pooley said. “We have people continuing to provide alcohol to minors. We continue to have people that are letting people binge drink to the point that they don’t even know what’s going on and people are going to get hurt.”
Pooley said more charges may be pending in the case.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them