PHOENIX — Phoenix police are looking for a man they believe punched an elderly man in the head after an encounter in the checkout line.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Tommy Thompson said a 66-year-old man was in a market near 16th Street and Thomas buying some items, including beer. He asked a Hispanic man in line if he wanted a beer, and that man became upset and words were exchanged. The victim left the store while the other man got into a white or light colored GMC Yukon or Tahoe SUV.
Thompson said that’s when things got ugly.
“As that man (the victim) was walking up the street, the suspect got out of the SUV and walked up behind him,” Thompson said. “The victim turned around in time to be struck in the head, and he fell on the ground.”
Thompson said the man was taken to the hospital but is not expected to survive.
The suspect is described as a Hispanic male in his 20s, approximately 5’7″ and 150 to 170 pounds.
Anyone with information concerning the suspect or where the vehicle may be is encouraged to call the Phoenix Police Department Violent Crimes Bureau at 602-262-6141 or Silent Witness at 480-WITNESS, 480-TESTIGO for Spanish.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths