PHOENIX — Two dog handlers and their canines from the Arizona Task Force 1 (AZ-TF1) have been deployed to aid in the search and rescue efforts after the deadly March 22 mudslide in Snohomish County, Washington.
The Arizona Search Dogs and their handlers “must be certified through FEMA in search and rescue,” according to a press release.
The dogs are trained “to locate victims and indicate the position where the strongest scent is found with a focused bark alert.” The amount of certified canine and handler teams in the U.S. is less than 200.
The two dog handlers join three other search and rescue members from Arizona.
The AZ-TF1 is just one of 28 National Search and Rescue teams that are deployed when there is a local or national disaster.
Twenty-two people remain missing in the 1,500 foot-wide area.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier