PHOENIX — A new desert botanical walkway in Mesa is on the way.
The idea is to increase knowledge and appreciation of local desert environment.
“This is going to be something that isn’t like anything else we’ve seen in Mesa before,” said Mesa Parks and Recreation Director Marc Heirshberg. “It’s going to be completely desert landscaping with accessible trails for everyone to enjoy.”
Heirshberg added that the focus of the walkway was to enhance the views and formations that already exist, not take away from them.
“We are really trying to take advantage of the natural beauty of the desert that already exists here and really trying to put an educational focus on that, [like] why it’s important to protect those resources,” he said.
The walkway was made a reality by Scotts Miracle-Gro and the company’s partnership with the U.S. Conference of Mayors’ nationwide GRO1000 Gardens and Green Spaces Program.
The park is near Zaharis Elementary, and the kids of the school have been allowed to be a part of its creation.
“It’ll be a learning-based park,” said Principal Mike Oliver. “Our students have had opportunities to blend their ideas into the development of it, and their voices have been respected and honored. It’s been a real privilege to work with the City of Mesa to creating a dream park.”
The new walkway at McKellips and Ellsworth Park should be completed around November of this year.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America