PHOENIX — A new desert botanical walkway in Mesa is on the way.
The idea is to increase knowledge and appreciation of local desert environment.
“This is going to be something that isn’t like anything else we’ve seen in Mesa before,” said Mesa Parks and Recreation Director Marc Heirshberg. “It’s going to be completely desert landscaping with accessible trails for everyone to enjoy.”
Heirshberg added that the focus of the walkway was to enhance the views and formations that already exist, not take away from them.
“We are really trying to take advantage of the natural beauty of the desert that already exists here and really trying to put an educational focus on that, [like] why it’s important to protect those resources,” he said.
The walkway was made a reality by Scotts Miracle-Gro and the company’s partnership with the U.S. Conference of Mayors’ nationwide GRO1000 Gardens and Green Spaces Program.
The park is near Zaharis Elementary, and the kids of the school have been allowed to be a part of its creation.
“It’ll be a learning-based park,” said Principal Mike Oliver. “Our students have had opportunities to blend their ideas into the development of it, and their voices have been respected and honored. It’s been a real privilege to work with the City of Mesa to creating a dream park.”
The new walkway at McKellips and Ellsworth Park should be completed around November of this year.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them