PHOENIX — To help tackle the critical need for more milk at food banks all over the country, those who help feed the hungry have launched the Great American Milk Drive.
Locally, representatives from the Arizona Diamondbacks, Shamrock Foods and state milk producers were on hand Wednesday to launch a nation-wide program to help the needy have sufficient milk at St. Mary’s Food Bank in Phoenix.
“It’s important that we fill the food bank with food and dairy, because there is such a shortage,” said Diamondbacks President and CEO, Derrick Hall. “This is a call to action.”
According to Feeding America, the nation’s largest domestic hunger-relief organization, milk is one of the items most requested by food bank clients, yet there is a nationwide shortage because it is rarely donated. Feeding America clients receive the equivalent of less than one gallon of milk per person per year.
“To be honest, I’m shocked at how staggering the numbers are,” said Craig Caballero, president of the Arizona Milk Producers and vice president of the United Dairymen of Arizona, Craig Caballero. “It’s an epidemic, but it’s one that’s easy to cure, if we commit ourselves to it.”
Hunger impacts one-in-six Americans, including 12.5 million families who do not have access to adequate nourishment to help them reach their full potential. There are more than 800,000 food-insecure individuals in the Phoenix area.
With a simple click of a mouse or text message (text “Milk” to 27722), it is now possible to buy milk and donate it for as little as $5 to a family who does not have regular access to milk. By entering your zip code, you can ensure that the milk is delivered from the farm to a local Feeding America food bank in your very own community.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.