PHOENIX — The Valley of the Sun is reportedly no longer in the running to host the 2016 National Republican Convention.
According to CNN, Republican officials said high competition was the reason Phoenix fell out of favor.
“In any other year, Columbus and Phoenix could have topped the list, but with so many strong cities competing, the committee had to make the difficult decision to narrow the field,” Enid Mickelsen, chair of the RNC’s Site Selection Committee said in a statement. “Phoenix and Columbus are great American cities, and I hope they’ll pursue a future bid for an RNC convention.”
Phoenix was also a finalist to host the convention in 2012.
Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer learned from reporters Wednesday morning that Phoenix had been cut out of the mix just moments after the decision was made.
“I am disappointed,” she said. “I thought we could be a great host in Arizona.”
Brewer said she doesn’t believe the recent controversy surrounding vetoed Senate Bill 1062 contributed to the decision.
Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Kansas City and Las Vegas are the remaining cities in the race.
Earlier Wednesday, Robert Graham, chairman with the Arizona Republican Party, said he was hopeful the convention would come to Phoenix.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this report.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development