PHOENIX — The Valley of the Sun is reportedly no longer in the running to host the 2016 National Republican Convention.
According to CNN, Republican officials said high competition was the reason Phoenix fell out of favor.
“In any other year, Columbus and Phoenix could have topped the list, but with so many strong cities competing, the committee had to make the difficult decision to narrow the field,” Enid Mickelsen, chair of the RNC’s Site Selection Committee said in a statement. “Phoenix and Columbus are great American cities, and I hope they’ll pursue a future bid for an RNC convention.”
Phoenix was also a finalist to host the convention in 2012.
Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer learned from reporters Wednesday morning that Phoenix had been cut out of the mix just moments after the decision was made.
“I am disappointed,” she said. “I thought we could be a great host in Arizona.”
Brewer said she doesn’t believe the recent controversy surrounding vetoed Senate Bill 1062 contributed to the decision.
Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Kansas City and Las Vegas are the remaining cities in the race.
Earlier Wednesday, Robert Graham, chairman with the Arizona Republican Party, said he was hopeful the convention would come to Phoenix.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this report.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food