PHOENIX — The Valley of the Sun is reportedly no longer in the running to host the 2016 National Republican Convention.
According to CNN, Republican officials said high competition was the reason Phoenix fell out of favor.
“In any other year, Columbus and Phoenix could have topped the list, but with so many strong cities competing, the committee had to make the difficult decision to narrow the field,” Enid Mickelsen, chair of the RNC’s Site Selection Committee said in a statement. “Phoenix and Columbus are great American cities, and I hope they’ll pursue a future bid for an RNC convention.”
Phoenix was also a finalist to host the convention in 2012.
Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer learned from reporters Wednesday morning that Phoenix had been cut out of the mix just moments after the decision was made.
“I am disappointed,” she said. “I thought we could be a great host in Arizona.”
Brewer said she doesn’t believe the recent controversy surrounding vetoed Senate Bill 1062 contributed to the decision.
Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Kansas City and Las Vegas are the remaining cities in the race.
Earlier Wednesday, Robert Graham, chairman with the Arizona Republican Party, said he was hopeful the convention would come to Phoenix.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night