PHOENIX — More than 1,500 mayors across the country paid tribute to volunteers on Tuesday during the Mayor’s Day of Recognition for National Service.
In Phoenix, Vice Mayor Jim Waring read a proclamation honoring some 1,300 volunteers in the Phoenix area. He did it in front of 50 volunteers from the groups Americore and Seniorcore at the Children First Academy in south Phoenix.
“Thank you for the service,” Waring said. “Obviously, the city is in budget straits right now, and so we need some volunteers to step up and fill in some need.”
He said that the volunteers come from all walks of life.
“Some of them are still in school. I just talked with a fella who is going to leave and it sounds like he is going to go to law school,” Waring said. “Then we have folks who are definitely further along in years and want to give back to the community.”
Waring said that volunteers are doing a lot of things that Phoenix can’t do because of its $38 million budget deficit.
“They’re paving parking lots and taking care of abandoned houses,” Waring said. “Those are things that normally your government takes care of, but we’re running a little short (of money) this year.”
The Corporation for National and Community Service said there are over 4,400 volunteers doing projects at more than 730 Arizona locations.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy