PHOENIX — More than 1,500 mayors across the country paid tribute to volunteers on Tuesday during the Mayor’s Day of Recognition for National Service.
In Phoenix, Vice Mayor Jim Waring read a proclamation honoring some 1,300 volunteers in the Phoenix area. He did it in front of 50 volunteers from the groups Americore and Seniorcore at the Children First Academy in south Phoenix.
“Thank you for the service,” Waring said. “Obviously, the city is in budget straits right now, and so we need some volunteers to step up and fill in some need.”
He said that the volunteers come from all walks of life.
“Some of them are still in school. I just talked with a fella who is going to leave and it sounds like he is going to go to law school,” Waring said. “Then we have folks who are definitely further along in years and want to give back to the community.”
Waring said that volunteers are doing a lot of things that Phoenix can’t do because of its $38 million budget deficit.
“They’re paving parking lots and taking care of abandoned houses,” Waring said. “Those are things that normally your government takes care of, but we’re running a little short (of money) this year.”
The Corporation for National and Community Service said there are over 4,400 volunteers doing projects at more than 730 Arizona locations.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier