PHOENIX — The Phoenix City Council is looking for ways to balance the budget.
The council held its first hearing about the budget Tuesday.
“We awkwardly picked April Fool’s Day for the first budget hearings, but this is no joke,” said Councilwoman Kate Gallego.
Gallego said the city faces a $38 million budget deficit. City Manager Ed Zyercher released a trial budget that slashes $29 million and includes cuts at most of the city’s community, recreation and senior centers, as well as three city pools.
Public safety jobs may also be on the chopping block, and pay and benefit cuts to city employees are also a possibility.
“I’ve asked the city manager to look at some changes on the revenue side to see if we could prevent some of these cuts,” Gallego said.
Gallego hinted that some of those revenue changes could involve taxes.
“Or we could look at different fees to make sure that we accurately recover some of the costs that outside businesses are incurring on the city, so that our taxpayers aren’t subsidizing,” she said.
Gallego said she doesn’t believe that the final solution will only include cuts to balance the budget.
“I would guess that it may be a mix of cuts and trying to look creatively to nonprofit partners,” Gallego said. “We could try to see if other people are willing to step up and take over some of the service that the city has been doing.”
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck