PHOENIX — More than 200 skydivers will attempt to set a record this week in the skies over Arizona.
“We’re definitely on track and moving towards the goal,” said Rob Leitlaw, captain of one of the participating teams. “We have until Friday to do this but right now we’re probably ahead of schedule.”
Leitlaw and 221 other skydivers will attempt to create the largest double-formation skydive ever. They have 80 seconds to jump from the plane and establish the formation before deploying their chutes.
Leitlaw said it will take practice to get it right, but things are progressing well.
“The probability of building — you have to realize 222 people (have) to try and be in sync with each other — is a pretty big deal,” he said.
The previous record for such a maneuver was set by 110 people in Florida in 2013.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America