PHOENIX — A state motorist agency is calling on Arizona to pass stricter driving laws during April, which is Distracted Driving Awareness Month.
Stephanie Dembowski with Triple-A of Arizona said the Grand Canyon State is one of only a dozen that has not enacted a ban on the use of cell phones and other wireless devices by new drivers.
“It’s been proven in states that have these strengthened (graduated driver’s license) laws that these laws do save lives,” she said. “The research there is showing that they work.”
However, some Arizona legislatures are taking up the issue. Several bills are in the works and one, HB 2359, has passed the House but is currently stalled in the Senate.
“Right now in the Legislature, we have HB 2359, which would strengthen Arizona’s current graduated driver’s license law by banning wireless communication devices among novice drivers,”
In 2011 and 2012, more than 6,600 people were killed in distracted driving crashes, according to the National Highway Transportation Safety Association.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon