PHOENIX — A state motorist agency is calling on Arizona to pass stricter driving laws during April, which is Distracted Driving Awareness Month.
Stephanie Dembowski with Triple-A of Arizona said the Grand Canyon State is one of only a dozen that has not enacted a ban on the use of cell phones and other wireless devices by new drivers.
“It’s been proven in states that have these strengthened (graduated driver’s license) laws that these laws do save lives,” she said. “The research there is showing that they work.”
However, some Arizona legislatures are taking up the issue. Several bills are in the works and one, HB 2359, has passed the House but is currently stalled in the Senate.
“Right now in the Legislature, we have HB 2359, which would strengthen Arizona’s current graduated driver’s license law by banning wireless communication devices among novice drivers,”
In 2011 and 2012, more than 6,600 people were killed in distracted driving crashes, according to the National Highway Transportation Safety Association.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again