PHOENIX — During the first three months of 2014, there have been 16 pediatric near drowning in Maricopa County, all of which have involved kids under 12. Five cases were fatal.
That has Phoenix Fire Department, Salt River Project and Banner Health urging water safety as the summer months approach.
Phoenix Fire Division Chief Shelly Jamison said that April will be “April Pools Month” and there will be several water safety events designed to spread their message.
“It’s simple — prevention is the key, it’s the only key,” she said. “You need adult supervision, barriers and you need to know CPR.”
As part of April Pools Month, SPR has produced 15,000 water safety DVDs that are available to the public and Banner Health also has free water safety kits that can help in the event of an emergency.
Nurse Tracey Fejt with Banner Health said during a possible drowning, time is of the essence and knowing what to do can save lives.
“The less time the brain gets oxygen then the more damage is going to be done,” Fejt said. “Truly getting CPR started on scene makes a huge difference.”
She encouraged people to learn CPR, but also said the water safety kits include cards that can help guide someone through the process.
Phoenix Fire recommended people to designate an adult life guard on duty at family events, place fences and gates around pools and spas and always keep a close eye on kids around water.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development