PHOENIX — During the first three months of 2014, there have been 16 pediatric near drowning in Maricopa County, all of which have involved kids under 12. Five cases were fatal.
That has Phoenix Fire Department, Salt River Project and Banner Health urging water safety as the summer months approach.
Phoenix Fire Division Chief Shelly Jamison said that April will be “April Pools Month” and there will be several water safety events designed to spread their message.
“It’s simple — prevention is the key, it’s the only key,” she said. “You need adult supervision, barriers and you need to know CPR.”
As part of April Pools Month, SPR has produced 15,000 water safety DVDs that are available to the public and Banner Health also has free water safety kits that can help in the event of an emergency.
Nurse Tracey Fejt with Banner Health said during a possible drowning, time is of the essence and knowing what to do can save lives.
“The less time the brain gets oxygen then the more damage is going to be done,” Fejt said. “Truly getting CPR started on scene makes a huge difference.”
She encouraged people to learn CPR, but also said the water safety kits include cards that can help guide someone through the process.
Phoenix Fire recommended people to designate an adult life guard on duty at family events, place fences and gates around pools and spas and always keep a close eye on kids around water.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes