PHOENIX — During the first three months of 2014, there have been 16 pediatric near drowning in Maricopa County, all of which have involved kids under 12. Five cases were fatal.
That has Phoenix Fire Department, Salt River Project and Banner Health urging water safety as the summer months approach.
Phoenix Fire Division Chief Shelly Jamison said that April will be “April Pools Month” and there will be several water safety events designed to spread their message.
“It’s simple — prevention is the key, it’s the only key,” she said. “You need adult supervision, barriers and you need to know CPR.”
As part of April Pools Month, SPR has produced 15,000 water safety DVDs that are available to the public and Banner Health also has free water safety kits that can help in the event of an emergency.
Nurse Tracey Fejt with Banner Health said during a possible drowning, time is of the essence and knowing what to do can save lives.
“The less time the brain gets oxygen then the more damage is going to be done,” Fejt said. “Truly getting CPR started on scene makes a huge difference.”
She encouraged people to learn CPR, but also said the water safety kits include cards that can help guide someone through the process.
Phoenix Fire recommended people to designate an adult life guard on duty at family events, place fences and gates around pools and spas and always keep a close eye on kids around water.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments