PHOENIX — The Grand Canyon Chapter of the Red Cross has started shipping supplies and equipment to locations across the state to be in position to respond quickly to wildfire emergencies.
Todd Tamcsin with Red Cross said the prepositioned trailers will allow the volunteers to get shelters up and running quickly if wildfires force evacuations.
“We have diapers, clothes, basic dry good supplies, obviously cots and more,” Tamcsin said. “We’ll be able to unload the trailers and set up our tables and chairs and be ready for business in short order. We currently have about 800 volunteers in the state. … We can get a shelter up in about 2 hours.”
The Red Cross helped hundreds of evacuees during last year’s Yarnell Hill fire, which destroyed dozens of homes, forced evacuations and left 19 firefighters dead.
Arizona Red Cross volunteers also responded last year to the aftermath of Typoon Haiyan in the Philippines and the massive tornado in Moore, Okla.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them