PHOENIX — A new statue to honor Barry Goldwater is at the State Capitol Museum for the next few months, before joining 99 of the nation’s most prominent citizens in Washington D.C.
“Since every state only gets two statues in Statuary Hall, it’s a pretty big deal,” said Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett. “Arizona has decided to replace one of those with a statue of Barry Goldwater.”
If anyone represents Arizona’s first 100 years, it’s probably him, Bennett said. The statue is currently sitting in the rotunda at the Arizona State Capitol Museum under the copper dome, but only for the next few months.
“Then it will be taken back to Statuary Hall in Washington D.C. and take its place amongst the other 99 men and women who represent the best of the best from each of the 50 states,” said Bennett.
The 8 foot tall, nearly 1 ton statue is nearly 8 feet tall and weight about one ton. It will join “Arizona’s First Rancher,” Father Kino, and replace the statue of John Campbell Greenway, which has stood in Statuary Hall since 1930.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development