PHOENIX — Tuesday marks the 60th anniversary of the debut of the beloved, locally-produced program, “Wallace and Ladmo.”
The show had an astounding run, beginning on April 1, 1954, and ending over 35 years later on December 29, 1989.
“To this day, after all this time, there is no day that somebody doesn’t come up to me, wherever I may be, with a memory,” said long-time “Wallace and Ladmo” actor Pat McMahon. “The show was successful for a lot of reasons, but mostly because it was funny, really, really funny.”
The show was originally hosted by two characters named Wallace and Ladmo, played by Bill Thompson and Ladimir Kwiatkowski, respectively. After McMahon joined the cast, the three of them helped create several characters that became synonymous with the show, such as Gerald, Aunt Maud and Captain Super.
“It was a show that was like ‘Saturday Night Live’ for kids and their parents,” McMahon said.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development