PHOENIX — April 1 is not just April Fools’ Day; it’s also National Safe Baby Haven Day.
Arizona child welfare activists want to remind young people about a law that exists which allows mothers of newborn babies that are healthy and unharmed to relinquish their parental rights.
The law passed in 2001 and is called the Safe Haven Law. The law identifies places where mothers can safely and anonymously surrender their babies without fear of prosecution. The law stipulates that the child must be under 72 hours old, the mother has no intention of reclaiming the baby and the mother must take the newborn to a safe haven location, like a fire station or hospital.
“To date, there have been 25 babies who’ve been adopted by loving families because of the program,” said Heather Burner with Arizona Safe Baby Haven.
Currently, there is a push to get more schools on board to let young people know about the option of Safe Haven; however, Safe Haven volunteers are meeting some resistance.
“We don’t want to influence any decisions about sex. That’s a job for the kids’ parents,” Burner said. “We simply want young people to know it exists.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food