PHOENIX — April 1 is not just April Fools’ Day; it’s also National Safe Baby Haven Day.
Arizona child welfare activists want to remind young people about a law that exists which allows mothers of newborn babies that are healthy and unharmed to relinquish their parental rights.
The law passed in 2001 and is called the Safe Haven Law. The law identifies places where mothers can safely and anonymously surrender their babies without fear of prosecution. The law stipulates that the child must be under 72 hours old, the mother has no intention of reclaiming the baby and the mother must take the newborn to a safe haven location, like a fire station or hospital.
“To date, there have been 25 babies who’ve been adopted by loving families because of the program,” said Heather Burner with Arizona Safe Baby Haven.
Currently, there is a push to get more schools on board to let young people know about the option of Safe Haven; however, Safe Haven volunteers are meeting some resistance.
“We don’t want to influence any decisions about sex. That’s a job for the kids’ parents,” Burner said. “We simply want young people to know it exists.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier