PHOENIX — Thanks to its 133 miles of bike lanes, Scottsdale has earned the status of “gold-level community” from the League of American Bicyclists.
The national group said Scottsdale has more bike pathways than any other large U.S. city.
“We don’t just look at it as a fitness thing or just for transportation, but it’s really for quality of life,” said Scottsdale Senior Transportation Planner Susan Conklu.
She said the city’s recipe for success includes connecting current paths, adding new ones, educating residents about the opportunities and organizing events, like the 9th Annual Cycle the Arts ride on Sunday, April 6, that begins and ends at the Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts. The free, family-friendly ride takes people on a guided seven-mile loop that highlights public artwork.
“I love that people can get on a road bike and do a 30-mile bike ride if they want to or they can jump on a beach cruiser and just ride somewhere for fun,” Conklu said.
Staffers are researching ways to make the downtown more bike friendly. Conklu said they’re seeing more riders during both day and night.
“We’re looking at ways to improve the parking for bikes downtown, so that it’s more convenient for those riders to feel welcome,” she said. “It’s helpful for the businesses, too, if people can get there easier.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development