PHOENIX — Thanks to its 133 miles of bike lanes, Scottsdale has earned the status of “gold-level community” from the League of American Bicyclists.
The national group said Scottsdale has more bike pathways than any other large U.S. city.
“We don’t just look at it as a fitness thing or just for transportation, but it’s really for quality of life,” said Scottsdale Senior Transportation Planner Susan Conklu.
She said the city’s recipe for success includes connecting current paths, adding new ones, educating residents about the opportunities and organizing events, like the 9th Annual Cycle the Arts ride on Sunday, April 6, that begins and ends at the Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts. The free, family-friendly ride takes people on a guided seven-mile loop that highlights public artwork.
“I love that people can get on a road bike and do a 30-mile bike ride if they want to or they can jump on a beach cruiser and just ride somewhere for fun,” Conklu said.
Staffers are researching ways to make the downtown more bike friendly. Conklu said they’re seeing more riders during both day and night.
“We’re looking at ways to improve the parking for bikes downtown, so that it’s more convenient for those riders to feel welcome,” she said. “It’s helpful for the businesses, too, if people can get there easier.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night