PHOENIX — Faced with a nearly $4 million budget shortfall, the Scottsdale Unified School District is looking at cutting the number of classes known as “specials,” which include art, music and physical education.
The proposal would reduce classes from everyday to every other day for kindergarten through fifth graders.
During the last school board meeting, Desert Canyon Elementary music teacher Rene Suderman asked members to imagine only attending half of a concert, making half of a piece of art or playing half of a baseball game.
“Special area classes are not just a break from the academic day,” Suderman said. “They enrich in academics and provide a much-needed outlet for many students. The cost in the end would be much more than losing half.”
The district could save about $1.5 million by cutting the classes, which would also eliminate 30 teaching positions. Another $700,000 could be saved by not filling vacant administrative and support jobs.
The budget is expected to be adopted in June, but teachers who could lose their jobs must be notified by April 4.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes