PHOENIX — An unknown person tossing smoke bombs set off a small riot in Tucson, Ariz. on Saturday night, police said Monday.
“The crowd grew in size and then someone in the crowd threw out smoke bombs and that just kind of set things off,” said Tucson Police Chief Roberto Villasenor.
About 50 of the 140 of those staged in the event of a conflict were wearing body cameras. Villasenor said the footage is being examined to build a complete story of the riot.
“We’ll be look at everything in totality in making our determination,” he said. “If we acted inappropriately, we’ll hold ourselves accountable.”
Villasenor said he felt his officers behaved appropriately, despite video evidence possibly showing an officer shoving a woman who did not appear to be involved in the riot.
“I think that our officers showed tremendous restraint when the crowd was pelting them with bottles and fireworks and cans and so forth,” he said.
Police are investigating the shoving incident.
Fifteen people were arrested, nine of which were University of Arizona students.
The riot happened shortly after the school’s basketball team fell to Wisconsin in the NCAA Men’s National Basketball Tournament.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon