PHOENIX — An unknown person tossing smoke bombs set off a small riot in Tucson, Ariz. on Saturday night, police said Monday.
“The crowd grew in size and then someone in the crowd threw out smoke bombs and that just kind of set things off,” said Tucson Police Chief Roberto Villasenor.
About 50 of the 140 of those staged in the event of a conflict were wearing body cameras. Villasenor said the footage is being examined to build a complete story of the riot.
“We’ll be look at everything in totality in making our determination,” he said. “If we acted inappropriately, we’ll hold ourselves accountable.”
Villasenor said he felt his officers behaved appropriately, despite video evidence possibly showing an officer shoving a woman who did not appear to be involved in the riot.
“I think that our officers showed tremendous restraint when the crowd was pelting them with bottles and fireworks and cans and so forth,” he said.
Police are investigating the shoving incident.
Fifteen people were arrested, nine of which were University of Arizona students.
The riot happened shortly after the school’s basketball team fell to Wisconsin in the NCAA Men’s National Basketball Tournament.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.