PHOENIX — More apartments and condos are going up in downtown Phoenix.
According to a city council report, there are approximately 1,200 units under construction or in the early development stages. They are mostly being built in a one-and-a-half square mile area from McDowell Road to Lincoln Street and from Seventh Street to Seventh Avenue.
Dan Klocke, vice president of development for the Downtown Phoenix Partnership, said about 9,000 people call the area home.
“It is everything from the classic empty nesters to young professionals to folks who are moving from an urban style environment, say a Chicago or a Boston or whatever, and want that kind of urban living,” he said.
The city report said between 2005 and 2013, more than 3,600 new housing units were built. About 69 percent of those are considered market-rate, which means they rent for roughly $1,000 per month, depending on the size and amenities. Other units are labeled as affordable housing for those with lower-incomes and luxury for those paying higher rents.
“Downtown has truly become a neighborhood as opposed to just a place,” said Klocke. “It’s a place where people want to work and they want to live.”
Members of the Downtown, Aviation and Redevelopment Subcommittee will get an update on the housing market and future development plans at their meeting on Wednesday.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas