PHOENIX — More apartments and condos are going up in downtown Phoenix.
According to a city council report, there are approximately 1,200 units under construction or in the early development stages. They are mostly being built in a one-and-a-half square mile area from McDowell Road to Lincoln Street and from Seventh Street to Seventh Avenue.
Dan Klocke, vice president of development for the Downtown Phoenix Partnership, said about 9,000 people call the area home.
“It is everything from the classic empty nesters to young professionals to folks who are moving from an urban style environment, say a Chicago or a Boston or whatever, and want that kind of urban living,” he said.
The city report said between 2005 and 2013, more than 3,600 new housing units were built. About 69 percent of those are considered market-rate, which means they rent for roughly $1,000 per month, depending on the size and amenities. Other units are labeled as affordable housing for those with lower-incomes and luxury for those paying higher rents.
“Downtown has truly become a neighborhood as opposed to just a place,” said Klocke. “It’s a place where people want to work and they want to live.”
Members of the Downtown, Aviation and Redevelopment Subcommittee will get an update on the housing market and future development plans at their meeting on Wednesday.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona