PHOENIX — More apartments and condos are going up in downtown Phoenix.
According to a city council report, there are approximately 1,200 units under construction or in the early development stages. They are mostly being built in a one-and-a-half square mile area from McDowell Road to Lincoln Street and from Seventh Street to Seventh Avenue.
Dan Klocke, vice president of development for the Downtown Phoenix Partnership, said about 9,000 people call the area home.
“It is everything from the classic empty nesters to young professionals to folks who are moving from an urban style environment, say a Chicago or a Boston or whatever, and want that kind of urban living,” he said.
The city report said between 2005 and 2013, more than 3,600 new housing units were built. About 69 percent of those are considered market-rate, which means they rent for roughly $1,000 per month, depending on the size and amenities. Other units are labeled as affordable housing for those with lower-incomes and luxury for those paying higher rents.
“Downtown has truly become a neighborhood as opposed to just a place,” said Klocke. “It’s a place where people want to work and they want to live.”
Members of the Downtown, Aviation and Redevelopment Subcommittee will get an update on the housing market and future development plans at their meeting on Wednesday.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life