PHOENIX — More apartments and condos are going up in downtown Phoenix.
According to a city council report, there are approximately 1,200 units under construction or in the early development stages. They are mostly being built in a one-and-a-half square mile area from McDowell Road to Lincoln Street and from Seventh Street to Seventh Avenue.
Dan Klocke, vice president of development for the Downtown Phoenix Partnership, said about 9,000 people call the area home.
“It is everything from the classic empty nesters to young professionals to folks who are moving from an urban style environment, say a Chicago or a Boston or whatever, and want that kind of urban living,” he said.
The city report said between 2005 and 2013, more than 3,600 new housing units were built. About 69 percent of those are considered market-rate, which means they rent for roughly $1,000 per month, depending on the size and amenities. Other units are labeled as affordable housing for those with lower-incomes and luxury for those paying higher rents.
“Downtown has truly become a neighborhood as opposed to just a place,” said Klocke. “It’s a place where people want to work and they want to live.”
Members of the Downtown, Aviation and Redevelopment Subcommittee will get an update on the housing market and future development plans at their meeting on Wednesday.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy