PHOENIX — A full house was expected for the Arizona Diamondbacks’ home opener Monday night against the San Francisco Giants.
First pitch at Chase Field (capacity 48,633) is set for 6:40 p.m. but before that former team broadcaster Joe Garagiola will be honored. The longtime announcer also will be inducted into the baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y. in the summer. He received the lifetime achievement award.
Players Paul Goldschmidt and Gerardo Parra will also receive awards for their outstanding 2013 season during the pregame ceremony.
Fans are in for a treat with several new menu items, including the D-bat Dog, available at Big Dawgs. The monster creation is an 18-inch corn dog stuffed with Cheddar cheese, jalapeno and bacon, served with chipotle ketchup, spicy mustard and fries, available for $25.
“The D-Bat has made a lot of news around the world already. The team heard about it when we were in Australia,” said team spokesman Josh Rawitch.
There’s also the Venom Dog, a footlong habanero sausage topped with black beans, guacamole, pico de gallo and sour cream, available for $10 at Red Hot! Grill locations.
The D-backs are also offering a new vegan option in the Bisbee Tamale.
Josh Rawitch with the team says one of the biggest changes this year is the Strike Zone.
“It has been renovated to include more seating and new furniture for fans to enjoy some of the best views in the ballpark from right field along the main concourse. With no reserved seats, plenty of seating is available on a first-come basis to watch a D-backs game with a group of 30 or more guests.”
The area also features a pool table and 10 televisions.
The D-backs Team Shop will sell a custom-designed Arizona Diamondbacks Fender Stratocaster guitar that will feature the team logo and a scene depicting the Arizona desert. The collector’s item will be available beginning Monday.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development