PHOENIX — A full house was expected for the Arizona Diamondbacks’ home opener Monday night against the San Francisco Giants.
First pitch at Chase Field (capacity 48,633) is set for 6:40 p.m. but before that former team broadcaster Joe Garagiola will be honored. The longtime announcer also will be inducted into the baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y. in the summer. He received the lifetime achievement award.
Players Paul Goldschmidt and Gerardo Parra will also receive awards for their outstanding 2013 season during the pregame ceremony.
Fans are in for a treat with several new menu items, including the D-bat Dog, available at Big Dawgs. The monster creation is an 18-inch corn dog stuffed with Cheddar cheese, jalapeno and bacon, served with chipotle ketchup, spicy mustard and fries, available for $25.
“The D-Bat has made a lot of news around the world already. The team heard about it when we were in Australia,” said team spokesman Josh Rawitch.
There’s also the Venom Dog, a footlong habanero sausage topped with black beans, guacamole, pico de gallo and sour cream, available for $10 at Red Hot! Grill locations.
The D-backs are also offering a new vegan option in the Bisbee Tamale.
Josh Rawitch with the team says one of the biggest changes this year is the Strike Zone.
“It has been renovated to include more seating and new furniture for fans to enjoy some of the best views in the ballpark from right field along the main concourse. With no reserved seats, plenty of seating is available on a first-come basis to watch a D-backs game with a group of 30 or more guests.”
The area also features a pool table and 10 televisions.
The D-backs Team Shop will sell a custom-designed Arizona Diamondbacks Fender Stratocaster guitar that will feature the team logo and a scene depicting the Arizona desert. The collector’s item will be available beginning Monday.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets