A new study shows that while an overwhelming majority of Arizonans who file their own taxes believe they have taken advantage of every deduction, credit or savings possible, more than half of those admit they’re not tax-smart when investing.
The study from BMO Harris Bank showed that 56 percent of Arizonans do not hire professionals to do their taxes, and 87 percent of those said they’re confident with the job they did.
Yet BMO Harris Spokeswoman Carey Allen said a majority of those admitted they don’t understand important tax-smart investment solutions designed to help reduce their liabilities.
“Only 57 percent really felt that they understood how capital gains are taxed and only 58 percent of the respondents really understand how dividend income is treated from a tax perspective,” she said.
She said hiring a professional can help ensure that taxes are done correctly and efficiently.
The study also looked at where Arizonans plan to spend their tax returns.
“Nationally, 42 percent of the Americans surveyed are planning to use their refund to pay household bills or reduce their debt and that compares with 37 percent of the Arizonans surveyed,” Allen said.
Arizonans also trailed the national average when it comes to using their refund toward savings and investments by about 4 percent. Conversely, Arizonans said they would use their returns to fund vacations or purchase leisure items at a higher margin than the rest of the country did.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.