PHOENIX — A World War II veteran who donated his dog tags over 30 years ago got a big surprise Friday.
In 1981, Jack D. Shippey donated his tags to the museum at the Air Force’s Non-Commissioned Officers school, but when the museum changed locations, his tags were lost.
The Shippey family contacted U.S. Congressman Paul Gosar, R-Ariz., for help, after coming up empty handed for eight years.
Gosar’s staff worked with the museum’s curator and presented Shippey with his lost dog tags.
“Since he [Shippey] lost his wife, the only thing he has been asking for the past few years is his dog tags,” Shippey’s daughter, Suzanne DeVlieger, said in a press released. “Now he has them.”
Gosar said it was a privilege to return the tags to Shippey, who “served our nation honorably during World War II and then came home to start a family and build a life, including a successful career.”
Shippey joined the Air Force in November 1942. He was deployed in 1943 and 1944. He left active duty in 1945, after accumulating 1,721 flight hours.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development