PHOENIX — A World War II veteran who donated his dog tags over 30 years ago got a big surprise Friday.
In 1981, Jack D. Shippey donated his tags to the museum at the Air Force’s Non-Commissioned Officers school, but when the museum changed locations, his tags were lost.
The Shippey family contacted U.S. Congressman Paul Gosar, R-Ariz., for help, after coming up empty handed for eight years.
Gosar’s staff worked with the museum’s curator and presented Shippey with his lost dog tags.
“Since he [Shippey] lost his wife, the only thing he has been asking for the past few years is his dog tags,” Shippey’s daughter, Suzanne DeVlieger, said in a press released. “Now he has them.”
Gosar said it was a privilege to return the tags to Shippey, who “served our nation honorably during World War II and then came home to start a family and build a life, including a successful career.”
Shippey joined the Air Force in November 1942. He was deployed in 1943 and 1944. He left active duty in 1945, after accumulating 1,721 flight hours.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.