PHOENIX — A World War II veteran who donated his dog tags over 30 years ago got a big surprise Friday.
In 1981, Jack D. Shippey donated his tags to the museum at the Air Force’s Non-Commissioned Officers school, but when the museum changed locations, his tags were lost.
The Shippey family contacted U.S. Congressman Paul Gosar, R-Ariz., for help, after coming up empty handed for eight years.
Gosar’s staff worked with the museum’s curator and presented Shippey with his lost dog tags.
“Since he [Shippey] lost his wife, the only thing he has been asking for the past few years is his dog tags,” Shippey’s daughter, Suzanne DeVlieger, said in a press released. “Now he has them.”
Gosar said it was a privilege to return the tags to Shippey, who “served our nation honorably during World War II and then came home to start a family and build a life, including a successful career.”
Shippey joined the Air Force in November 1942. He was deployed in 1943 and 1944. He left active duty in 1945, after accumulating 1,721 flight hours.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night